Deng Gai Gatluak Deng, Head of Procurement & Logistics Unit
Mr. Deng is a lecturer at Starford International University (SIU), faculty of law, where he lectures International law, Company law, Administrative law and Constitutional Law. He obtained Master of Laws (LL.M) from Girne American University (GAU), Cyprus-Europe (2017). In his LLM Thesis research, he “Examined the legality of Uganda’s Military intervention in South Sudan in relation to Article 2 (4) of the United Nations Charter.”
Mr. Gatluak was appointed in May 2017 to the South Sudan National Dialogue Steering Committee by the President, H.E. Salva Kiir Mayardiit on the basis of youth representation and more importantly because of his history of civic service and engagement, his professional training and experience in International law, administrative law and constitutional law, and his deep connections to the Youth leadership in South Sudan. He was one of the prominent presidential contenders for the second convention of the South Sudan National Youth Union (SSNYU), 2019.
Mr. Gatluak’s record of public engagement includes:
- Being the former Chairman of the defunct SPLM-IO Youth League and Member of the defunct SPLM-IO Political Bureau (2017-2018), under the leadership of the former First Vice President and current Vice President for Infrastructure Cluster, H.E. Gen. Taban Deng Gai.
- Served as the Secretary of the drafting committee of the Transitional Constitution of Bieh State, 2018.
- Served as Secretary of Technical Committee for drafting Bieh state’s six months action plan (2019), where he reviewed the existing state political and economic documents, structure and past reference records, redefined clear structure of various state organs and outlined their relevant functions in conformity with the former Jonglei State constitution.
In addition to civic service, Mr. Gatluak also writes on peace, politics, human rights, and other issues central to South Sudan’s Constitutionalism and democracy.
His publications include:
- “SPLM leaders MUST think beyond individualistic political ambitions in the upcoming 3rd phase of the HLRF,” https://radiotamazuj.org/en/news/article/splm-leaders-must-think-beyond-individualistic-political-ambitions-in-the-upcoming-3rd-phase-of-the-hlrf
- “The death penalty against Cde. James Gatdet Dak is an absolute miscarriage of justice.” https://sudantribune.com/spip.php?iframe&page=imprimable&id_article=64720
- “Tribal politics can maneuver to gradual extinction of freedom of speech,” https://paanluelwel.com/2016/05/19/tribal-politics-can-manoeuvre-to-gradual-extinction-of-freedom-of-speech/
- “South Sudan is our common unifying identity and pride (message of peace),” http://nyamile.com/2016/03/07/south-sudan-is-our-common-unifying-identity-and-pride-message-of-peace/
- “What is the legality of extraterritorial use of force against non-state actor by UPDF in South Sudan,” https://nyamile.co/2015/04/15/what-is-the-legality-of-extraterritorial-use-of-force-against-non-state-actor-by-updf-in-south-sudan/