All Political Parties Leadership Forum facilitated by the ND Leadership on 28 & 29 October 2019 at Freedom Hall in Juba.Press Release
The leaders and representatives of 49 out of 52 political parties in South Sudan met at Freedom Hall in Juba from the 28th to the 29th of October 2019, under the auspices of the National Dialogue Steering Committee, chaired by Hon. Angelo Beda, Co-chair.
Part of the agenda was to be briefed by the Leadership of National Dialogue Steering Committee about the important work the Committee has done over the last two years and to have deliberations on an array of issues, among them:
- Briefing on the process of National Dialogue (ND) from grassroots consultations through Regional Dialogue Conferences (RDCs);
- The outline of the National Dialogue Conference Agenda;
- The position of the political parties on the status of the formation of the Revitalized Transitional Government of National Unity (RTGoNU).
The political parties applauded the people of South Sudan for having spoken frankly and bravely about issues affecting the country through the grassroots consultations and the regional conferences.
The parties expressed their gratitude to the President of the Republic, Salva Kiir Mayardit for initiating the National Dialogue process and for providing the resources needed for this important national endeavor; and also congratulated the Co-chairs, H.E. Abel Alier and Hon. Angelo Beda, the entire Leadership and membership of the Steering Committee, and the Secretariat for what is truly a remarkable achievement in conducting a successful consultation from the grassroots to the regional conferences, this is unlike any other thing in the history of our country.
Determined to restore peace and stability in the country through the unity of the people; Inspired and guided by the objectives and principles of the National Dialogue, and recognizing the complementarity between the National Dialogue and the Revitalized Agreement on the Resolution of Conflict in South Sudan (R-ARCSS);
The political parties resolved to:
- Declare the National Dialogue an inclusive grassroots peace process that holds the key to national transformation;
- Fully commit to the National Dialogue process and strongly support and affirm the views of the people of South Sudan generated through the grassroots consultations;
- Welcome and endorse the recommendations of the three Regional Conferences to the National Dialogue Conference;
- Endorse the outline of the National Dialogue Conference Agenda;
- Pledge to abide by and implement the Final Resolutions of the National Dialogue Conference;
- Call for opening up of political space for the political parties to strengthen the culture of dialogue and to promote the growth and development of a democratic political culture;
- Remain fully committed to the Revitalized Agreement on the Resolution of Conflict in South Sudan and call for timely formation of the Revitalized Transitional Government of National Unity on the 12th of November 2019;
- Call upon the Leadership of National Dialogue to mediate between the President and his brother Dr. Riek Machar Teny so as to ensure formation of (R-TGoNU) by 12th November 2019 and to realize peace in the country;
- Decide to form an inter- political parties committee to visit prisons and to follow up if there are political prisoners remaining under detention and ensure their release;
- Call upon the people of South Sudan, the region and the international community to embrace the National Dialogue process and support the implementation of its outcomes; and
- Decide to stay informed of the preparations for the National.